Aboyeji has been the Senior Pastor of the Foursquare’s Olu of Warri Palace since 2001 and the Warri District Overseer/Mid-West Region Coordinator since 2006 and 2011 respectively where he was rated the best District Overseer of the church for three consecutive years.
The Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria church started in October 1955 through the endeavours of a missionary couple; Rev and Mrs. Harold Curtis from USA. The registered headquarters in Nigeria is at 62/66 Akinwunmi Street Yaba, Lagos State. The Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria currently has about 4032 churches spread over 154 districts and 824 zones as at September 2018. The Church in Nigeria has also reached out to neighboring countries and had established in the Republic of Benin, Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire and Central African Republic. Most of these churches in the west coast have been nationalized.
The work/Organization now increase was the result of a Foursquare missionary family in the persons of Rev. H.J. Curtis & Mrs. Faye Curtis and their two sons. This family arrived the shores of Nigeria on November 4, 1954 from the United States of America with a clear goal of starting the Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria. From all available records it took about one year before an official stamp was given to the individual work of this Godly couple. The work effectively started in 1955.
The records showed that Rev. H.J. Curtis, on arrival to Nigeria rented a flat at King George Avenue (now Herbert Macaulay Street) from where he started a Vocational Bible School in his apartment frontage from where the movement’s first pioneering students and eventual national leaders were discovered and trained. These were; Rev. James. A. Boyejo, Rev. Friday C. Osuwa, Rev. Samuel O. Odunaike and a few others.
At this Vocational Bible School, God also granted the Curtises the privilege of working with another independent foreign missionary sister by name Margaret Season who also graduated from the LIFE Bible College in Los Angeles in 1948 to assist in lecturing the students.
All the pioneering students and close associates who were undergoing training at the vocational Bible School were not actually converted freshly by the Curtises as they were believers who have given their lives to Christ in their various denominations. Rev. F.C. Osuwa was in fact already an ordained minister of God with the Assemblies of God Mission. The street meeting was actually one of the street meetings held by Rev. Harold Curtis in several places in Yaba. It was at one of these meetings that Bro. Boyejo first met Rev. Curtis in December, 1954.
First Place Of Worship: As a result of several street meetings that brought about a great crowd, Rev. Curtis rented a building which was formerly used as a beer parlour. It was during the semester break when after the discovery, rental and renovation of 68, King George Avenue, then known as the Yankee Bar, the inauguration exercise took place on Saturday, October 31, 1955. The occasion was colorful. The frontage of the building was lit brightly with several fluorescent lights and with chairs set up in the open air.
The following people actively took part in the never – to be forgotten historical event:
1. Rev. Harold J. Curtis
2. Mrs. Faye Curtis
3. Rev. Margaret Season
4. Bro. Odunaike S.O.
5. Bro. Boyejo J.A.
6. Rev. F.C Osuwa
7. Ronald Curtis
8. Gerald Curtis
9. Other Bible School students
The Open Air Inauguration Service started at about 7.00pm with an announcement and invitation to passersby. This was followed by Gospel Music from the trumpet played by Ronald Curtis and the accordion played by Bro. Odunaike. Gospel songs followed. The sermon was preached by Rev. Harold Curtis and interpreted by Bro. Boyejo. At the end of the message, altar call was made and many souls gave their hearts to Christ. The meeting closed with an invitation to everyone, to attend the first Sunday school and church service at the same venue the following day, which was Sunday.